HP is a popular brand in the tech industry. From computers to its peripherals, it manufactures a range of products that are not only affordable but also make use of cutting edge technology. HP printers deliver outstanding performance and have a long life. However, sometimes users face certain issues such as HP printer offline. This is a pretty common error and can be resolved easily. Before we discuss the ways to fix this error, let’s explore the reasons why this error occurs.
Why Does HP Printer Go Offline?
There are many reasons behind the HP printer offline error. Some of the most common reasons for the printer error are listed below.
● Improper Settings: In case the printer offline setting is enabled, then the printer will not show online. To fix this, you will have to disable the setting.
● Internet Connection: In case your device is not properly connected to the internet or your internet is not working properly, then it may cause the HP printer to go offline.
● Loose Cables: If you have a network printer, then it may not appear online if it is not connected properly. Loose or faulty cables may lead to this error.
● Print Jobs: Some times, too many pending printing jobs may lead to errors such as HP printer offline.
● Wrong or Outdated Drivers: To get the best performance out of your printer, it is essential to keep the drivers up to date.
How to Fix HP Printer Offline Error
Here are some possible solutions to help you resolve the HP printer is offline issue.
Check the Cables
Get started by checking if either end of the USB cord is properly hooked. In case you have a network printer, then ensure that the Ethernet cable is properly connected. Wireless printer users need to check their internet connection and ensure it is successfully connected to the router.
In case the cable is broken, then replace it. Try attaching the cable to the computer to check if the HP printer is working or not. Your HP printer may be offline due to the network connection.
Make the HP Printer Online Manually
In order to make your HP printer go online manually, here are the settings you need to tweak.
- Open the Start menu on the computer.
- Click on Control Panel.
- Select the Devices and Printers option.
- Locate your HP printer and right-click on it.
- Now, you need to click on See what’s printing.
- Then you need to select the Printer option from the new screen. It is available at the top.
- Click on the pull-down menu and choose the Use Printer Online option.
Cancel the Pending Print Jobs
Try canceling the pending print jobs for fixing HP printer offline issue. Here are the stepwise instructions you must follow.
- Go to Start and open the Control Panel.
- Click on Devices and Printers.
- Find the concerned printer and click See what is printing.
- Now, right-click on the print jobs and click on Cancel.
- After that, click on the Use Printer Online option.
- In case you cannot remove any print job, then just reboot the computer and HP printer.
Remove and Reinstall the HP Printer
- Launch the Start Menu and then click on Control Panel.
- Go to Devices and Printers.
- Right-click on the HP printer.
- Click on Remove device.
- After that, you need to add the HP printer again.
- Go back to Devices and Printers.
- Click on Add a printer.
- Allow the device to locate your HP printer.
- Re-add it.
Remove HP Printer Drivers and Packages
Before proceeding, you need to ensure that you are signed in to your device as the Admin.
- Go to the search bar and enter CMD.
- After that, wait for the Command Prompt to open.
- In the command prompt, you need to enter printui /s /t2.
- Now, wait for Print Server Properties to open.
- After that, locate the HP Printer driver and package.
- Remove it.
- Now, proceed with adding the HP printer again.
- To do so, go to Devices and Printers and click on the Add a Printer.
Now you will see that your HP printer appears online and you can carry on with the printing. In case it is still offline, follow the next solution.
Check for Paper Jams
Is your HP printer still offline? Try canceling all the pending print jobs and check for paper jams
- First, launch the Start menu and click on Settings.
- Choose printers and locate your HP printer.
- Right-click on it and choose the Use Printer Online option.
- In case you find any pending print jobs, then remove them.
- Double-click on your HP printer.
- Click on Printer and then choose Cancel All Documents.
- In case any paper jam or stuck print job was causing the HP printer to appear offline, then this method will help in bringing the printer back online.
- Try printing and see if the printer appears online.
Power Cycle the Printer
Often turning off the printer and then turning it back on resolves common issues. Here is what you have to do for power cycling the printer.
- Locate the Turn Off button and press it.
- Wait for a minute or two and then turn the printer back on.
- Also, you need to check the paper tray to see if there is any paper hamming.
- It is also advised to check the network connection along with a wireless connection to ensure that everything is in place.
- Reboot the device connected to the printer.
Reinstall the Printer Drivers
Sometimes, outdated or incorrectly installed drivers could cause issues such as HP printer offline. For reinstalling the drivers, follow these steps:
- First, you need to open the Settings app.
- Click on Printers and choose your HP printer.
- Right-click on the chosen printer and select Properties.
- Go to the General segment and find the driver option.
- Click on Driver.
- If needed, download the printer driver.
- Go to the Settings menu, click on Printers and choose your HP printer.
- Remove the HP printer from there.
- Do the reinstallation of the HP printer.
- To do so, click on the Add Printer and follow the instructions on the screen.
- Make sure that you install the most recent driver from the HP printer website.