Despite the opposite rumors, email marketing still exists in the digital age. Email marketing is especially suitable for e-commerce entrepreneurs. Most of your communication with your customers is via email, so it’s a good idea to send marketing campaigns via email.
Simple and flexible email marketing tools are recommended, so there is no golden rule for every email ad, but you should consider some best practices. When planning your next email marketing campaign, feel free to follow these 6 steps:
Make a Plan
What is the most important goal of your email marketing campaign: Well, may it drive sales? Or bring people to your website? Share content? With a clear goal, it’s easier to design a campaign that will help you achieve your goals.
Make sure you know exactly what you will be emailing as this will affect everything from the newsletter content to your communication tone and style. Even more basic: Are you B2B or B2C? B2B e-mail activities are often sources of information and content, B2C is more likely to include people who use your product discounts and great pictures.
Regardless of your target group, you should have a very clear goal when designing your next campaign. Set specific, measurable goals. This helps you focus on your campaigns and allows you to objectively measure the effectiveness of your campaigns.
Create a contact list
Creating a contact list is one of the most important parts of a successful email campaign. Sending rich emails doesn’t help you if you don’t send them to people who might find them interesting.
How to create a contact list:
- Put the registry on the company’s homepage
- Checkbox in the e-commerce store checkout process
- Special offers quit intention pop-up window – “Sign up for my newsletter and receive a 10% discount”
- Registration form on your Facebook page
Tip: I highly recommend not buying an email list. You don’t know how good these lists are, and there are strict laws that prohibit unnecessary business contacts. Be safe and trust your list.
Segment your Contacts
As an e-commerce entrepreneur, this is not difficult: the best way to organize and segment contacts is to integrate the e-commerce platform with an Email Marketing Software solution through plug-ins or other interfaces. This will automatically sync your contacts, including their basic information as well as purchase history and other identifying characteristics.
Once you’ve imported your contacts, you can start segmenting them. You should create groups based on shared characteristics (age, location, gender, purchase history) so you can send more relevant content to your contacts. I highly recommend creating dynamic groups, which are automatically updated to include contacts with certain characteristics. You will save a lot of manual work.
Design Awesome Communication
Title: What is the relationship between email topics and well-designed newsletters? In fact, everything. This is the first thing your contacts see in your inbox, and it still has a long way to go to determine if your email is fully open. Relevance is more important than length. Let your contacts know exactly why they opened your email.
Design: Email marketing software gives you design options that many email clients cannot provide. This allows you to design your perfect match newsletters online store design.
- The first screen: Your most important content should be the top level of the newsletter. We can’t guarantee that your contacts will scroll down in the email, so make sure they see what you want them to use.
- personalise: Personalized greetings generate more clicks, and personalized products and content can be very effective.
- Responsive design: Responsive design templates ensure your newsletters are displayed on desktop and mobile devices. More than half of the emails are open on mobile devices, which is not an option – this is a requirement.
- Image: Includes images, but not too much. The spam filter can capture too many images.
- White space: Use a lot of blank areas. The narrow design doesn’t work on your site and doesn’t work in your email campaigns.
Email marketing software provides powerful automation tools. Automated campaigns can do two things: save you time by sending campaigns independently; they can help you deliver the right email to the right people at the right time, increasing the relevance of your campaigns.
Life Cycle Activity
Lifecycle activities are based on individualized characteristics. You can set automatic birthday wishes, holiday blessings or after the first purchase. You can also set up a reserved campaign where automatically generated emails are sent to customers who are inactive for a specific period of time (for example, after 3 days, after 2 weeks, after 1 month)
Send a campaign based on the behavior of the contact. Examples of trigger campaigns can include people who have registered your newsletter but have not purchased anything from you; customers who purchased a product; or any other activity that can be tracked and uploaded to your email marketing software.
Analyze your data
Email campaigns provide a wealth of data that can be analyzed and used to measure the performance of your campaigns. Key performance indicators include:
- Delivery rate: How many messages in your contact’s inbox have arrived successfully?
- Open rate: The number of people who opened the email.
- Clickthrough rate: The number of people clicked in the email.
- Clickthrough rate (CTR): The number of people clicked on in the email as a percentage of the open.
- Unsubscribe rate: Click the number of people who cancel the subscription button.
- Exchange rate: This can be adjusted by you and can include purchases and/or downloads.
In addition to KPIs, you can analyze many other data points:
Cluster Analysis allows you to view sorted KPIs by identifying features. For example, you can view the outstanding rates for a woman or a person who opened the previous email.
With Clickmaps, you can see exactly where people clicked on your email. This helps you determine the type of content that the contact is most interested in. Email follow up is very important.
With the A/B test, you can send different versions of the newsletter to test which performance is better, and the location display shows exactly where the contact opens the email.
I hope that you find these materials very helpful. I wish you good luck and send you happiness!