Puffy nipples in males can be a cause of concern. When they experience some puffiness of the nipples, the first and foremost thing that pops into the mind is breast cancer. But the prevalence of breast cancer in men is very low. Usually, the cause of male puffy nipples (puffy nipples causes) is gynecomastia.
What are male puffy nipples?
Puffy nipples in males are the most common symptom of the condition of gynecomastia or chest fat. This can result due to the collection of glandular tissue under the nipples. Due to the accumulation of the glandular tissue or adipose tissue, the nipples and the surrounding area result in a ‘dome-shaped’ appearance. This results in feminine-like breasts.
What are the causes of male puffy nipples?
Primarily, the following reasons are responsible for the puffiness of the nipples in males-
- Using steroids- There can be hormonal shifts in the male body due to continuing abuse of anabolic steroids. There are latest research studies confirming the same when two males who are into regular consumption of anabolic steroids were studied thoroughly.
- Excessive running or jogging- This may seem unusual but there are observations that confirm if a man runs or jogs for long periods of time, their nipples can inflame. A possible explanation for the same could be the friction between the nipples and the clothing that results in minuscule sparks.
- Health problems- Patients suffering from any health condition such as testicle tumors, liver ailments, kidney failure, cirrhosis, hyperthyroidism, or hypogonadism can have puffiness in the nipples as a side effect. These patients tend to suffer from hormonal imbalance due to the disease.
- Taking particular drugs- Consuming drugs such as Cimetidine and proton pump inhibitors, Diazepam, Ketoconazole, Metronidazole, Medicines for treating cancer, metoclopramide, Finasteride, Efavirenz, Tricyclic antidepressants, Human chorionic gonadotropin, and calcium channel blockers can also result in hormone imbalance eventually, puffy nipples.
- Excess fat deposition- Due to the uneven distribution of body fat around the chest, it can give an appearance of fluffy breasts and puffy nipples. Also, excessive fat deposition can result in hormonal imbalance which in turn can cause puffy nipples. Well, a research study from 2017 that involved studying obese men confirmed that they had decrease in testosterone production and an increase in estrogen production due to body fat.
Which doctors to see for puffy nipples in men?
Men who have puffy nipples causes are often confused about which doctors to consult for the treatment. Generally, they should see a cosmetic surgeon who is an expert in shaping body contour.
But the most important thing to note here is that if the skills of the doctors are not up to the mark, it can result in undesired results which the patient has to live with forever.
There are several gynecomastia clinics in Delhi which houses surgeons who possess more than 10 years of experience. Therefore, it is important to choose a doctor who is highly experienced as well as specialists in treating puffy nipples. Here are some tips that can help you choose a doctor-
- Check for their certifications and qualifications. He or she must possess all the necessary credentials required for performing cosmetic procedures such as liposuction or mastectomy.
- You should be able to communicate your needs to the doctor comfortably. Or else, you might not be satisfied with the results.
- With years of experience, they must have good aesthetic sense so that they can guide which procedure is necessary and which is not.
- They should have the necessary skills and years of experience to perform these surgical procedures. For this, check for their before and after photos of other patients.
- Look at how he or she is behaving with you. Are they listening to you patiently or cutting you off in between? A good doctor is generally very caring, compassionate as well as empathetic.
How is it diagnosed?
Primarily, doctors diagnose the puffiness to check if it is gynecomastia, breast cancer or simple chest fat. In order to confirm the actual condition, the doctor physically examines the patient followed by some tests.
The doctor uses his fingers to feel under the breasts and the surrounding area of the nipples to check if there is any fluid discharge, skin discoloration, or hard lumps to rule out the chances of malignant cells.
Followed by this, he asks several questions to the patients related to their lifestyle habits as well as any health condition he is suffering from. They can also ask about the medical history of the patient and their family members.
Here are some diagnostic tests that doctors ask to complete to confirm their initial diagnosis.
- Blood or urine tests- This is mainly to check the changes in the hormonal levels in the body. In case there is any change in level, the doctor confirms puffiness around the nipples due to this particular factor.
- Mammogram- This is an X-ray of the breasts to check the presence of any hard lumps.
- Biopsy- Biopsy confirms if there is any growth of malignant cells in the breasts which is resulting in puffy nipples.
What is the treatment for puffy nipples in men?
- Drugs- There are two types of drugs that doctors prescribe for reducing puffiness in the nipples. These are approved by the United States Food and Drugs Administration (USFDA). These mainly work by restoring the normal hormonal levels in the male body. In the case of low testosterone production, take Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) medicines such as Danazol. This class of drugs makes up for the lack of testosterone. On the other hand, for faster metabolism of estrogen take Selective Estrogen Receptor Modulators (SERMs) such as Clomiphene or Tamoxifen.
- Exercises- For building the chest contour of the body, the patient must aim for some chest-targeted exercises for the puffiness of the nipples. Regular exercises ensure that the functions of the body are also normal. Start with cardio exercises for 15-20 mins on a regular basis. Cardio should include either running, jogging, or swimming, etc. For chest-targeted exercises include chest flys, push-ups, planks, sprints, cable pulls, or squats. This enhances the overall shape of the body and reduces fat pockets from specific parts of the body.
- Diet- As mentioned above, excess fat accumulation can result in puffy nipples. Also, eating certain food items such as soy, tofu, beer, canned items, processed food items, etc. can result in more estrogen levels in the body. Therefore, another lifestyle change is paying attention to the food items that you are eating. Eat food items such as high fiber foods, raw fruits and vegetables, foods with no-added-sugar, low-in sodium products, meat and fishes.
- Ayurveda- According to Ayurveda, there can be puffiness in nipples due to obesity. Ayurvedic doctors prescribe that men with puffy nipples should take medicines such as tribulus power, arogyavardhini vati, hakam churna or guggul capsules. There are some herbs that can reduce the symptoms of puffy nipples such as aksha, amla, haritaki, shonti, black pepper, long pepper or rock salt. In addition to this, try dhanurasana on a daily basis. Also, massage the nipples till the back regularly with mustard oil.
- Surgery- Experts in male breast surgeries in Delhi claim that in the initial stages of gynecomastia, it can cause discomfort. But in extreme cases, it can become a continuous factor for a disturbed mind. In such cases, change in lifestyle including diet and exercise is not sufficient. This requires options such as surgical interventions. The surgery for gynecomastia includes liposuction followed by the removal of excess chest tissue. Both the procedures are performed under the influence of anesthesia which means the patient feels neither any pain nor any discomfort. It takes 3-4 months for the swelling to subside after which the results are permanent. However, with age, if there are any changes in the body shape, there can be some changes in the results.
Why not delay the treatment of male puffy nipples causes?
It is not wise for men with puffy nipples to delay the treatment as it can have both psychological as well as the physical impact. When the treatment is delayed, there are some symptoms that become noticeable.
- Puffy nipples become visible even after wearing loose-fitting clothes
- One or both the breasts become swollen and tender
- The surrounding area of the nipples-areola- increases and becomes discolored
- The chest becomes asymmetrical
Not only physical changes, but there is an impact on the mind of the sufferers too. As they develop women-like breasts, they easily fall prey to several embarrassing situations and instances of bullying.
Due to continuous social embarrassment, these people have lower self-confidence and lower productivity. If the boys have developed this problem at a very tender age, then the impact is much worse. Due to a dampened self-confidence, they develop eating disorders or become reclusive.
Therefore, it is imperative for young adults or those who are suffering from various mental health problems due to the puffy nipples causes, to get treated without further delay.
Around 32-65% of males are affected by gynecomastia. In order to get rid of puffy nipples causes in men or breast enlargement permanently, think of undergoing surgical intervention.
In this way, the patient can alleviate the psychological as well as physical effects of gynecomastia. Consult with experts to get rid of this embarrassing condition as soon as possible.
Also Read – Types of Breast Cancer and Related Conditions